Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Diamond Head

Today I set out to find the route to Diamond Head and decided at the last minute to just hike the thing. It was awesome! It took about a half an hour and was well worth all the bug bites and the soaking we all got at the top. Honestly the rain felt great after the hike to the top. The views at the top are pretty amazing. I also found my first lighthouse in my quest to photograph them all.

The hike itself isn’t really all that bad…I’d heard horror stories. The 99 stairs suck, but I was ready for them. Really the worst part, at least in my opinion was the tunnel, but this probably had something to do with the fact that I forgot I had my sunglasses on which made it pitch black. Top that with the fact that it’s very narrow and I literally bounced off the walls a couple of times. Smart I know! LOL! When you get to the top, you have spectacular panoramic views. Having a panoramic view on an island, really gives you an idea of how close everything is, while simultaneously reminding you how isolated you are.  When I got to the top it started pouring rain, but I think it made for cool pictures. The hike down takes about as long as the hike up, but mostly because there’s a huge line of people waiting to get down one tiny stair case. It’s nice to slow down on the way down too and just enjoy the views of the mountain. I actually enjoyed the hike so much, that I’ve decided that I’m going to add it to my jogging trail…by that I mean, I'll jog to Diamond Head, and then hike the mountain. Life here really is pretty amazing. I can see why people are happy all the time and enjoy taking life slowly.

xo,

-A


Here we go!
Cliff entrance to Diamond Head
 Beach houses..some sad person has to live here. Ha!
 
 Surfers...you could only see them through the camera's long lense
 City & harbor views
 Freedom!
 Coral reef
 I love the colors and the patterns between the water, coral and waves. Gorgeous!
 My first lighthouse!!!
 Here comes the rain.

 
 You can literally watch the rain falling on the ocean. Nature's amazing!

 More amazing houses.

Cute couple I met at the top. If you enlarge the picture you can see how large the rain drops were.
Storm clouds..cool right? This was rolling in off the other side of DH.


No comments: